Stanley Black & Decker, the world’s #1 producer of power tools reported that it used WinSPC to reduce its RPM defect metrics and rework by 20%, attaining its ROI in 6 months.
Stanley Black & Decker
Stanley Black & Decker [NYSE: SWK] is the world’s #1 producer of power tools and accessories with well over $10 billion in annual sales. The Stanley Black & Decker Tampa plant manufactures saw blades and accessories for the global market. The Tampa plant has gained significant benefits using WinSPC.
In order to maintain their lead against growing international competitors, Stanley Black & Decker Tampa were searching for ways to improve productivity and product yield in the process of manufacturing jig, reciprocal, and hole saw blades. It was also imperative that any solution must support their Six Sigma initiatives.
Two stages of the manufacturing process were creating the highest RPM defect metrics:
- The setting of the teeth on the blades
- Reciprocal blade coating process
Stanley Black & Decker Tampa chose WinSPC for the following reasons:
- WinSPC is easy to use and easy to administer
- WinSPC works with legacy systems and allows them to correlate data for a wider picture of their plant’s performance
- WinSPC can help them meet Six Sigma standards and goals
- WinSPC will automatically alert the operator and plant manager when the process gets out of control
WinSPC works with Stanley Black & Decker’s existing systems to collect, monitor, and analyze producing reports for maximum output. As a result, they were able to control the saw tooth setting as well as the curing and coating processes to significantly increase yield and reduce scrap and reworking.
Stanley Black & Decker is maintaining a competitive stance by increasing yields and reducing scrap. Stanley Black & Decker specifically cited the following benefits achieved with WinSPC:
- Reduced RPM defect metrics and rework by 20% to date
- Optimized process conditions achieving higher yields
- Attained ROI in six months
- Success of Tampa plant with WinSPC presented as “Best Practice” company-wide
About DataNet Quality Systems
DataNet Quality Systems empowers manufacturers to improve products, processes, and profitability through real-time statistical software solutions. The company’s vision is to deliver trusted and capable technology solutions that allow manufacturers to create the highest quality product for the lowest possible cost. DataNet’s flagship product, WinSPC, provides statistical decision-making at the point of production and delivers real-time, actionable information to where it is needed most. With over 2500 customers worldwide and distributors across the globe, DataNet is dedicated to delivering a high level of customer service and support, shop-floor expertise, and training in the areas of Continuous Improvement, Six Sigma, and Lean Manufacturing services.